Common Winter Garage Door Problems And Solutions
The low temperatures and harsh conditions of the winter months make having a garage even more appreciated. While your garage will save you from feeling the effects of winter on your car, winter can still have an effect on your garage door. Before you find yourself having to scrape ice off the windshield or getting into a cold car in the morning, make sure that you pay attention to how winter weather may be affecting your door.
Common Winter Garage Door Problems
Cold temperatures, rain, sleet, snow, and ice can all affect the components of your garage door system. The most common winter garage door problems can include:
- Broken Parts: Cold temperatures in particular can have an effect on nearly any metal part of your garage door system. Springs, tracks, rollers, and hardware can all see damage during the winter from changes in temperature that can cause metal to warp. Extended amounts of time expanding and contracting will put stress on you door or even cause wear and tear on the system as a whole. The cold can also cause lubrication to change consistency or even harden, which in turn affects how smoothly the door can open or close or how well metal parts are able to function
- Malfunctioning Garage Door Opener: The garage door opener can also be affected from winter weather. Cold weather can cause door openers or remote controls to work slower or delayed.
- Damage From Wet Conditions: Rain, snow, and ice can also affect wooden garage doors or wooden garage door components. Wooden garage doors and framing can both be damaged or affected from heavy moisture with problems such as swelling, cracking, or warping.
- Frozen Door: Freezing temperatures combined with rain or snow can cause garage doors to freeze to the ground. To avoid this, make sure that water is not collecting or pooling at the base of the garage door during or after storms. If it is, take a moment to sweep away any puddles of water or clear off snow from the path of the door to avoid door frozen to the ground.
- Damaged Weather Stripping: Weather stripping that is in good condition can help to prevent damage to your garage door during the winter, but it can also be affected by winter weather. Replace any damaged weather stripping quickly to avoid heat loss or other problems.
Taking Care Of Your Garage Door In Winter
With just a few precautionary steps and actions you can protect your garage door from the effects of winter weather. Be diligent about clearing away water or snow that accumulates at the bottom of the door. Carefully inspect weather stripping, metal components, tracks, and the door itself for any signs of wear or damage. If you see an problem or have any concerns about your garage door, make sure to schedule professional garage door repair quickly this winter. Scheduling annual garage door maintenance before temperatures drop is another effective way to prevent problems during the winter.
Las Vegas Garage Door Service
K&B Door Company in Las Vegas offers professional garage door repair and garage door maintenance that will keep your garage door functioning safely and efficiently through the winter months. Call us today at (702) 871-0662 to schedule an appointment.
K & B Door Co
3711 W Sirius Ave Las Vegas, NV 89102